Thursday, May 22, 2014

First Visit Of The Year!

I just got back from BHI for the first time of the year! I had so much fun fishing, biking, and eating ice cream at SandPiper Coffee & Ice Cream. This was the week where I went over to the BHI Conservancy to meet the volunteer coordinator, Jaymie Reneker.



With her I learned about which species of turtles come to nest at the island. The ones that nest are Loggerheads and Green Sea turtles... but once in 2010 a Leatherback slipped onto shore and laid her eggs. We're waiting for the hatchlings to grow up and come lay eggs of their own.

To fill in the rest of the week, I did some things around the island like catch a Pompano fish.


And accidentally ran over a snake (I think a Black Racer) with a bike I could not really control!

Another thing we love to do is go on what we call "night rides." It's basically going out on the unlit roads of the island in the golf carts trying to spot deer, foxes, raccoons, and the occasional rabbits. We went to the turtle pond every day but we saw no alligator this time! Now I am determined to see one. Hopefully I will have my camera on me if I do.

So what a trip! And now I can't wait for the next. See you soon Bald Head Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment