Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Species of Turtles on BHI

There are two main sea turtles that nest on Bald Head Island. The Loggerhead and the Green. I will be leaving tomorrow for another week at BHI and my first meeting with the volunteers. But I can take a minute to tell you a little about each amazing turtle that nests on BHI.


The Loggerhead Sea Turtle

The Loggerhead sea turtle is one of the two main turtles that nest at BHI. It's found in the warm waters off the coast of the U.S. It eats anything it can find around the ocean floor and can grow to be three feet long. It got its name from its large block-like head (up to 10-inches wide). And another thing is that it is one of the endangered species of sea turtles!

The Green Sea Turtle

The other sea turtle that nests on BHI is the Green sea turtle. It's mostly found on the east coast of Florida. It can be up to 4-feet long and more than 500 pounds! What I find most interesting about this turtle is that it did not get its name for being green (it's not) but because it has green body fat. Now that's a funny way to name a turtle. Sadly, this one is endangered also.

So now you know the main facts of the friends of BHI. One more thing is that the turtles are almost about to nest! Mama turtles have been spotted and Oak Island (close to BHI)  had a false alarm nesting... I can't wait till I get a nest of my own!

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful paintings! You are so talented! After reading your posts, I want to explore Bald Head Island. It sounds like a fascinating place to take a field trip or family vacation. I Miss you,
    Mrs. Baldwin :-)

    ReplyDelete