Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Calling all nest monitors!

I'm now back from another exciting adventure to BHI. My family traveled to the island to have our first turtle nest monitor meeting at the conservancy. I met the other volunteer families and got my "instruction papers" of how to take care of our nest (didn't know which one I was going to get yet) and how to handle the hatchlings.

Sign: "CAUTION. Don't swim or fish in this pond... Gator may be present."
Indeed!


And yes! I did get my beautiful gator picture. I actually saw another gator on my first day on the island, but knowing me, I did not have my camera! Later on, this one was at this pond hanging out for the entire day... even the fifth time we drove past.

Biking over a snake was quite an adventure last time, but the adventures do not end! This time I had a terrible stomach bug. Yes, I spent some vacation time in bed.

My brother got a new stuffed animal bunny and I got a new BHI sweatshirt, then it was off to climb the Old Baldy lighthouse! After climbing up all 108 steps, five landings, and a ships ladder, we were at the top of Old Baldy with such a sight. I could see all the way to Southport!


The most beautiful view of the marsh with the chapel in the foreground.

Us and the huge, amazing harbor.

So besides the meeting we did pretty much anything we wanted!

Eating more ice cream at our much loved Sandpiper Ice Cream and Coffee.

Biking without hitting any more snakes.

Trying out my new roller blades.

Spending hours at the beach and pool, boogie boarding, sand castle designing, and much more!




And then finally... I was assigned my special one and only... Turtle's Nest!!! I can't wait to go back and help it hatch. Until next time, Bald Head Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment